Methadone maintenance treatment has important
benefits for addicted individuals and for society.
These benefits include:
• reduced or stopped use of injection drugs
• reduced risk of overdose and of acquiring
or transmitting diseases such as HIV, hepatitis B or C, bacterial
infections, endocarditis, soft tissue infections, thrombophlebitis,
tuberculosis, and STDs
• reduced mortality - the median death rate
of opiate-dependent individuals in MMT is 30 percent of the rate of
those not in MMT
• possible reduction in sexual risk behaviors,
although evidence on this point is conflicting
• reduced criminal activity
• improved family stability
• employment potential
• improved pregnancy outcomes.
Using commonly accepted criteria for medical interventions,
several studies have also shown that MMT is extremely cost-effective.